- 1 small onion, rough chopped
- 1 small tomato, rough chopped
- 1 heaping tsp. garlic paste (chopped)
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- Pinch tumeric
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3-4 tsp. coconut milk
- 2 tsp. fresh coriander leaves
- 1 c. chana beans, soak for 3 hours in water (chickpeas!)
- Pinch mustard seed
- 6 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Blend onion, tomato, garlic paste, coriander powder, tumeric, chili powder, coconut milk and fresh coriander leaves until smooth
- Heat pressure cooker base
- Add 3 – 4 tsp. oil after cooker is heated
- Continue to heat oil for a few minutes
- Add pinch mustard seeds to oil, cook for 30 seconds
- Add fresh curry leaves and heat for a minute
- Add onion and tomato blended mixture, stir together and cook for five minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add 1/4 c. water to blender to get rest of sauce out and add water mixture to cooker.
- Add drained chana beans and salt.
- Mix and make sure the mixture isn’t too thick. Add additional water to right consistency.
- Close pressure cooker and cook on medium heat about 15 minutes, but really by the number of pressure releases. Every time the top pops it is a unit of cooking time. So this dish requires 3 – 4 pressure releases before the dish is done. DO NOT OPEN THE PRESSURE COOKER IN THE MIDDLE!
Makes about 2 cups